Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Ark Prep 101 - Things Change When Emergencies Hit Close to Home!

Photo By:  James Wray
The fire in Herriman was a 
sad reminder of just how quickly
things can go from a regular day
to an
EMERGENCY SITUATION.
We were in the Cove Fort Fire in 2007.
We had gone to visit my husband's parents
who were serving their mission in that area.
The fire that at first seemed so far away,
surrounded us in a matter of minutes.
The campground was filled with smoke which
made the evacuation even more difficult.
We had to load up the camper and evacuate
the area very quickly. 
I think the scariest moment was when my oldest
son left the motorhome just as we were ready
to drive off.  He was worried about his grandma
having to drive alone in her car, so he had
gone to ride with her without telling any of us
about his plan.
Thankfully everyone was ok.
We learned a lot that day!
I know that I posted the "Grab 'n Go" List a while ago,
but this just seemed like a good time to bring it out again.
(Thanks goes to Natalie for thinking of it!)
Here's the PDF:
{Post this list on the door of a coat closet or somewhere EASY to get to!}
Remember, to practice, practice, practice!
Give everyone his or her assignments and then
walk them through and show them exactly what to do.
The list is broken down into different times.
Sometimes you have only minutes
and other times you may have up to an hour.
In a Emergency Situation
EVERY MINUTE COUNTS.
WITH A PLAN . . .
YOU WILL BE ABLE TO MAKE THE MOST
OF EVERY MINUTE!

3 comments:

Natalie said...

Trish,
Thanks so much for looking this up for me and for re-posting! I really appreciate it... you!
Natalie

*A* said...

The fire came right to our back fence. It was by far the scariest day of my life. We had NO time to think, let alone time to grab anything. My poor neighbors behind me lost everything. Thank you for posting this again.

The David and Tricia Smith Family said...

It is so scary to be surounded by smoke and ashes and even more scary to see the fire coming towards you so fast. I totally agree . . . it was the scariest day of my life as well. I'm glad you and you're neighbors are ok. I can't imagine losing everything! Please know that you are in our prayers and if they're is anything I can do to help . . . PLEASE let me know! I'M SERIOUS!!!!
Trish